The Portuguese Education System: School Visits in Porto
Portugal’s educational system is regulated across all schools by the State (more specifically, by the Ministry of Education). The national Higher Education system is fully integrated into the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
Starting at age 6, compulsory school lasts 12 years; and includes particularly specialized learning courses from the ages of 14/15.
Not only will participants have the opportunity to learn in-depth information on the Portuguese educational system during this course, but they will also visit Portuguese schools and educational institutions, observe teachers at work, and engage in conversation with principals, teachers, and students about school life and the country’s educational system.
Furthermore, during the school tours, participants may also have the opportunity to establish contacts between principals and participants to launch future Erasmus+ projects, which solidifies one of the oldest objectives of the Erasmus+ program: sharing knowledge and experiences, interculturally!
In preparation for the study visits, this course has a theoretical component where the trainer will lecture participants on the history, culture, and educational system of Portugal. At the same time, participants will also learn about the city’s culture within the classroom and with outdoor activities.
Note: Course availability is only during the Portuguese School Year (September – June)
Course Duration and Costs
All costs can be supported with a KA grant under the Erasmus+ programme.
This is a 6-Day course – of which Learning Together charges 580 euros per participant (A+B).
For our 6-day course, the course fee is 480 EUR per participant, for tuition and materials (6-day course x 80,00 EUR per day). This can be covered with the course fee that you receive with your KA1 grant: 80 EUR / day / person.
The course fee for our courses has been adjusted to meet the new KA1 grant budget (Erasmus+ Programme 2021-2027). Before, sending organisations received 70€/day/person for course fees. Now, the new KA1 grant provides 80€/day/person.
Payment of 100 EUR per participant (total amount).
This fee also includes our social program, which you can see below.
In the previous Erasmus+ programme, each educational organisation also received 350 EUR per participant for organisational support. Learning Together only charged 150 EUR for administration and organisation costs (local organisation and logistics, pedagogical support activities, learning validation, certification and Europass Mobility validation). With the new programme, the organisational support fees are now a standard 100 EUR per person – however, they can vary according to project type (job-shadowing, long-term,…).
- Cultural Heritage day: Guided visit to the city of Porto;
- Hop On & Hop Off Tour Bus;
- Visit to” Ribeira” and 6 Bridges River Cruise;
- Visit to the Port Wine Cellars & Wine Tasting Experience.
The purpose of this training course is to provide teachers or adult educators with an in-depth knowledge of the Portuguese Education system, namely daily school life, teaching methods, culture and other processes. This will enable them to get an idea of different teaching practices and ideally apply them to support creative tactics and activities in the educational community.
- Develop knowledge on other Education systems, specifically Portugal’s
- Become familiar with different tools for Education methods
- Develop critical reflection on the teaching profession’s professional development in other cultures
- Get involved in practical sharing activities supported by a supportive environment
- Plan and create in-class activities that foster the development of the teaching staff and, at the same time, of the students
- Apply and/or adapt different concepts, ideas, and teaching methodologies to the ones practised in their home country
- Learn more about Portugal’s and Porto’s culture, heritage and society
- Facilitate experience and cultural exchanges between European participants and Portuguese teaching personnel, which results in a fruitful international experience
- Enhance communicative competences in English and social skills;
- Promote intercultural awareness
- Identify & share good practices that can be implemented at a local level
- Welcome dinner,icebreaking
- Meet & greet, networking – participants and staff
- Week briefing & planning
- Introduction: course and activities throughout the week (e.g. planned visits, schedules, objectives, schools’ profile and information)
- Icebreaker activities
- Participants’ school presentation
- The Portuguese Educational System
- Structure and School Content
- New Approaches to Education
- Case Examples: Comparison between Portugal and other countries Discussion, renewal and innovation in professional practice.
- Preparing Q&A session
- Visit to School Nº1
- Job shadowing activities
- Visit to School Nº2
- Job shadowing activities
- Discussion and Reflection
- Learning points from each school visit
- Porto & Portuguese Culture, Heritage and Society
- Group Work
- Presentation Preparation
- Future cooperation and planning follow-up activities (discussion)
- Course roundup & review
- Learning outcomes’ validation
- Certification Ceremony
*This schedule/ program describes likely activities but may differ based on the trainer's discretion and objectives. Schools' selection will be disclosed upon the course's introduction (Day 2).
Still have Questions?
For more information, check our Pricing & FAQ.