Communicating under Pressure
How we talk and how we listen are inherently important, however, when the stakes are high, our communication and listening skills become even more critical. Everyone reaches a point where they can no longer take it. It is common to have misunderstandings during stressful moments, which can sometimes add to the stress of the situation. When things get tough, it’s a good idea to reassess how we communicate. When you perform well under pressure, it builds trust in the team and gives people confidence in your abilities to not only lead but also assist the team during difficult moments.
Speaking carefully, listening effectively, and responding accurately are the three principles of good communication, whether we’re dealing with coworkers, the headmaster, students, or parents.
Effective communication starts with careful speaking. When you are communicating effectively, you are giving your undivided attention to the person with whom you are communicating.
Effective communication also demands listening effectively. Good communication is a two-way conversation and therefore requires you to speak in a way that will encourage the other person to express their thoughts and feelings.
When communicating effectively, you need to respond accurately. In other words, when someone has given you information or asked you a question, your responses should be complete and accurate. If they are not accurate, they are not helpful or appropriate in the situation.
Effective communication is an important skill that can improve your relationships with others. It is important for business, social and personal matters.
You also need to be aware of the effect your communication has on others. If you are communicating effectively, you are helping others to effectively communicate with you.
Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know.”
– Jim Rohn
Course Duration and Costs
All costs can be supported with a KA grant under the Erasmus+ programme.
This is a 7-Day course – of which Learning Together charges 660 euros per participant (A+B).
For a 7-day course, the course fee is 560 EUR per participant, for tuition and materials (7-day course x 80,00 EUR per day). This can be covered with the course fee that you receive with your KA1 grant: 80 EUR/day/person.
The course fee for our 2022 courses has been adjusted to meet the new KA1 grant budget (Erasmus+ Programme 2021-2027). Before, sending organisations received 70€/day/person for course fees. Now, the new KA1 grant provides 80€/day/person.
Payment of 100 EUR per participant (total amount).
This fee also includes our social program, which you can see below.
In the previous Erasmus+ programme, each educational organisation also received 350 EUR per participant for organisational support. Learning Together only charged 150 EUR for administration and organisation costs (local organisation and logistics, pedagogical support activities, learning validation, certification and Europass Mobility validation). With the new programme, the organisational support fees are now a standard 100 EUR per person – however, they can vary according to project type (job-shadowing, long-term,…).
- Cultural Heritage day: guided visit to the city of Lisbon;
- 7 Hills River Cruise;
- Belém Lisbon Bus Tour;
- Modern Lisbon Bus Tour.
The course’s main goal is the participants to identify areas of improvement and how to become effective communicators in stressful situations. The learning environment includes instruction, exercises, small and large group discussions, and lots of hands-on practice. Our goal is to help our participants to develop skills of handling pressure and sense of confidence.
- Analyse different workplace communication styles;
- Identify different behavioural types (internal and external);
- Communicate clearly under pressure;
- Reset expectations to avoid causing disappointment;
- Analyse how the brain responds to pressure;
- Respond to challenges (rather than instantaneously react);
- Use paraphrasing techniques to check for understanding;
- Identify communication hotspots;
- Build levels of resilience to help people bounce back quicker;
- Effectively manage communication breakdowns;
- Agree to communication action plans;
- Welcome dinner,icebreaking
- Meet & greet, networking – participants and staff
- Week briefing & planning
- Tools for improving communication under pressure
- Speak carefully, be specific. Define the problem or feeling
- Stay focused. Discuss only the issue at hand
- Say less. Silence is helpful when emotions are strong, stressed
- Say it with tact. Keep comments descriptive rather than critical blaming or all-knowing. Avoid criticism and sarcasm
- Use effective communication techniques in difficult situations
- Listen attentively and with empathy. Try to understand their perspective
- Listen without interrupting. Eliminate both mental and physical distractions. Concentrate on the words and pay attention to the nonverbal gestures
- Receive criticism successfully. Listen for the meaning, let go of defensiveness as you can
- Use active listening skills to improve the quality of relationships in the workplac
- Identify their own communication style and understand how to flex to others’ style of communication
- Respond accurately. Get all the facts. The goal of communication is to understand. Ask the speaker to clarify
- Recognize emotions. Be honest. Acknowledging and accepting the speaker’s feelings does not mean that you agree with them
- Listen to yourself. Make a conscious effort to hear how you speak. Do you have a positive or negative attitude? What is your tone of voice?
- Build rapport with diverse groups of people using different communication styles
- Employ assertive communication techniques to handle difficult conversations
- Communication Methods, Negotiation Skills and Communication Fitness
- Building resilience in difficult communication environments
- An overview of effective and ineffective feedback
- Effective feedback skill practice exercises
- Persuasive Speech
- Group work
- Group work
- Course roundup & review
- Learning outcomes’ validation
- Certification Ceremony
Social Program & Activities
- 7 Hills River Cruise
- Belém Lisbon Tour
- Modern Lisbon Tour
*This schedule/ program describes likely activities but may differ based on the trainer's discretion and objectives.
Still have Questions?
For more information, check our Pricing & FAQ.