Active Listening & Effective Questioning
Being able to listen well and ask questions effectively is a core skill of every role in every workplace. In some roles, this becomes a crucial skill. Effective listening and questioning techniques are two of the most powerful skills coaches use to help educators obtain knowledge, deepen understanding, refine skills, reflect on instructional practices, and learn how to successfully communicate with students and colleagues.
In this module, coaches explore the fundamental steps necessary when it comes to planning, cultivating, monitoring, and maintaining teachers’ ongoing cognitive growth and verbal interactions.
Teachers, school staff and others need to be versed in the functions, features, and purposes of communication and be able to model good communication skills when working within and across diverse groups. In addition, professional conversations are a necessary tool to assist teachers in mediating their own learning processes and, in turn, mediating the learning processes of their students.
Course Duration and Costs
All costs can be supported with a KA grant under the Erasmus+ programme.
For a 6-day course, Learning Together charges 580 euros per participant (A+B).
For our 6-day course, the course fee is 480 EUR per participant, for tuition and materials (6-day course x 80,00 EUR per day). This can be covered with the course fee that you receive with your KA1 grant: 80 EUR / day / person.
The course fee for our 2022 courses has been adjusted to meet the new KA1 grant budget (Erasmus+ Programme 2021-2027). Before, sending organisations received 70€/day/person for course fees. Now, the new KA1 grant provides 80€/day/person.
Payment of 100 EUR per participant (total amount).
This fee also includes our social program, which you can see below.
In the previous Erasmus+ programme, each educational organisation also received 350 EUR per participant for organisational support. Learning Together only charged 150 EUR for administration and organisation costs (local organisation and logistics, pedagogical support activities, learning validation, certification and Europass Mobility validation). With the new programme, the organisational support fees are now a standard 100 EUR per person – however, they can vary according project type (job-sadowing, long-term,…).
- Cultural Heritage day: Guided visit to the city of Porto;
- Hop On & Hop Off Tour Bus;
- Visit to” Ribeira” and 6 Bridges River Cruise;
- Visit to the Port Wine Cellars & Wine Tasting Experience.
Recognise the importance of preparing questions that are focused on the participants’ objective;
Know how to make sure key messages are communicated clearly and effectively;
Learn how to avoid misunderstandings and making assumptions;
Be able to use precision questioning techniques toelicit the information required;
Acquire techniques that can be used to ensure that participants are listening effectively in all situations;
Transfer and share core values, experiences and effective teaching practices with other teachers and colleagues;
Promote intercultural awareness.
- Welcome dinner,icebreaking
- Meet & greet, networking – participants and staff
- Week briefing & planning
- Communication – share &receive information:
- a messages’ source
- messages’ sender
- a channel along which messages flow
- a messages’ receiver
- the receiver’s knowledge of the code
- Speaking and Listening
- The speaker & the listener – several communication games
- Questioning & Answering:
- the speaker’s ability to construct and purposefully dispense well thought out questions;
- the listener’s ability to provide answers based on background knowledge and experiences
- Question Models
- What type of question should I ask?
- What do I need the question to do?
- Communication games
- Afternoon – Networking and
- Eliciting Information (Why is this a better time?)
- Shaping understanding (What do you mean by…? How do you perceive…?)
- Promoting reflection (What might
happen in your class if …?)
- Group Work
- Course Roundup & Review
- Learning outcomes’ validation
- Certification Ceremony
*This schedule/ program describes likely activities but may differ based on the trainer's discretion and objectives.
Still have Questions?
For more information, check our Pricing & FAQ.