Active Listening & Effective Questioning
Being able to listen well and ask questions effectively is a core skill of every role in every workplace. In some roles, this becomes a crucial skill. Effective listening and questioning techniques are two of the most powerful skills coaches use to help educators obtain knowledge, deepen understanding, refine skills, reflect on instructional practices, and learn how to successfully communicate with students and colleagues.
In this module, coaches explore the fundamental steps necessary when it comes to planning, cultivating, monitoring, and maintaining teachers’ ongoing cognitive growth and verbal interactions.
Teachers, school staff and others need to be versed in the functions, features, and purposes of communication and be able to model good communication skills when working within and across diverse groups. In addition, professional conversations are a necessary tool to assist teachers in mediating their own learning processes and, in turn, mediating the learning processes of their students.
Our pricing policy follows the official regulations on transparent costs.
The costs can be supported with a KA grant under the Erasmus+ programme.
Course fee: 480 euros per participant (6-day course).
- Learning Together’s Welcome Kit;
- A Daily Program designed by our trainers;
- Welcome Dinner to meet your new colleagues;
- Daily Coffee Break;
- Logistic, organizational and administrative support from headquarters;
- Daily assistance and on-call support throughout the whole week.
- Daily assistance and suggestions (restaurants, sightseeing, hospitals…) – we also have a section on our website dedicated to Discovering Porto (eating, sleeping, sightseeing suggestions) that we always recommend our participants to check out.
Recognise the importance of preparing questions that are focused on the participants’ objective;
Know how to make sure key messages are communicated clearly and effectively;
Learn how to avoid misunderstandings and making assumptions;
Be able to use precision questioning techniques toelicit the information required;
Acquire techniques that can be used to ensure that participants are listening effectively in all situations;
Transfer and share core values, experiences and effective teaching practices with other teachers and colleagues;
Promote intercultural awareness.
- Welcome dinner,icebreaking
- Meet & greet, networking – participants and staff
- Week briefing & planning
- Communication – share &receive information:
- a messages’ source
- messages’ sender
- a channel along which messages flow
- a messages’ receiver
- the receiver’s knowledge of the code
- Speaking and Listening
- The speaker & the listener – several communication games
- Questioning & Answering:
- the speaker’s ability to construct and purposefully dispense well thought out questions;
- the listener’s ability to provide answers based on background knowledge and experiences
- Question Models
- What type of question should I ask?
- What do I need the question to do?
- Communication games
- Afternoon – Networking and
- Eliciting Information (Why is this a better time?)
- Shaping understanding (What do you mean by…? How do you perceive…?)
- Promoting reflection (What might
happen in your class if …?)
- Group Work
- Course Roundup & Review
- Learning outcomes’ validation
- Certification Ceremony
*This schedule/ program describes likely activities but may differ based on the trainer's discretion and objectives.
Still have Questions?
For more information, check our Pricing & FAQ.